Saturday, December 8, 2012

'Tis The Season For Fair Isle



It's finally gotten chilly in NYC, the tree is lit at Rockefeller Center, and the stores are packed with Christmas shoppers. It's officially "the most wonderful time of the year!" It also means that it's time to break out your fair isle gear. Fair isle is back in a big way, and if you have no idea what I'm talking about, it's those sweaters/socks/whatever with wintery looking patterns.

For a free history lesson, "fair isle" is actually a knitting technique used to create patterns, and it is named for Fair Isle, a tiny island north of Scotland. I think the patterns are a nice change from the usual single colored winter sweater. Check out some of my favorite fair isle items this season...


I love the colors of this cardigan, and it's on sale. This is great, to add some color to a t-shirt and jeans outfit, and it's on sale!

Asos - A Wear Fair Isle Edge Cardigan - $56.29  (originally $70.36)






American Eagle is great for stocking up on casual wear, and they have a ton of fair isle sweaters, socks, hats, you name it. I really like this fair isle bag. Not only is it under $20, but it is a cross-body, which is always great, and the fair isle print makes it kind of different and fun.


AEO Fair Isle Flap Bag - $19.99 (originally $24.95)






With all the Kate Middleton baby news, I've been thinking that I've been thinking that I need to swing by one of my favorite UK transplants - TopShop. I was just on their website, and I saw these cute fair isle socks. These are great for jazzing up a Christmas outfit, or just for keeping your toes warm this winter.







This is a great time to shop at the Gap, because they're offering 30% off your online purchase. I'll be honest, I kind of hate wearing pants. Wait, that came out weird, let me clarify - I love wearing dresses even in the freezing cold, and I use sweater tights to make it more bearable. In fact, I think sweater tights are warming that a lot of work slacks. These fair isle sweater tights are a fun take on the usual tights, and I bet they're super warm.







Ok, I'll admit, I'm not sure what to think of these Nike fair isle leggings, but the Junior League is having an Apres Ski party in January, and I think these could be perfect for my outfit. I think I would wear these as regular leggings under a sweater, but I guess they're intended to jazz up your workout wardrobe.


Nordstrom - Nike 'Sqaud' Fair Isle Leggings $35



No comments: