Sunday, July 1, 2012

Lighten Up! Packing Tips


It's summer and that means lots of traveling. Living in NYC has taught my the need to travel light. I usually catch a bus/train/plane after leaving to office, so I need something lightweight to schlep all my stuff to work and then on to my destination. I consider myself an expert at traveling light - I spent 10 days in Japan with a carry on suitcase!


Tips!

Never bring anything on your way to the airport that you can easily buy at the airport - Magazines cost the same whether you buy them at Barnes & Noble or whether you buy them at the terminal. I always buy them right before hopping on the plane. I also trash them as soon as I'm done. There's no point bringing it to the hotel if you're done with it. I also don't buy more than I can read on the plane. If I need something to read by the pool, I'll grab another magazine when I get to my destination. I'm anti-electronic reader, so books are the only thing I pack before heading to the airport. They are so much cheaper on Amazon, or at The Strand (my absolute favorite NYC bookstore). This rule also applies to water (you can't take it through security anyway), snacks, etc.




Roll it - Rolling your clothes tightly not only keeps them wrinkle free, but makes it a lot easier to pack an enormous amount into a small bag. My friend Sarah bought me a set of packing cubes from Ebags and they are awesome. I roll my clothes and pack them into the cubes, then I can easily access a cube of t-shirts, or sundresses. I also reserve one cube for dirty clothes that need to be washed when I get home.




Plan your outfits - I know this is hard, but if you want to save the weight of lugging ALL of your shoes, bring a couple that will go with any outfit. I usually bring ballet flats, sandals, and a peep-toe (either nude or black). You rarely need anything else. If it's winter and I know I'll need a pair of boots, I usually wear those on the plane so they're not taking up room. I also always carry on my coat, even if I'm going from somewhere warm (Texas) to somewhere cold (NYC).




The hidden second bag - This is one of my favorite tricks. People bring larger suitcases so there's room for souvenirs and shopping, but there's no need to do that. I love my Longchamp tote because it folds up nicely, and when I am ready to travel home, I can unfold it and fit a ton of crap in there. I usually count that as my "purse" and then also have my carry on so I prevent the need to check a bag.



No comments: