Sunday, June 15, 2008

Building A Better Wardrobe, Part I

Just because you're on a budget doesn't mean there aren't times when it is OK to splurge a little. Certain pieces or timeless and worth the investment because you will wear it for years to come.

Here are some items I suggest you spend a little extra on:

Handbags
These include handbags of timeless designers like Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Chanel, YSL, etc. While some brands like Juicy Couture are very popular right now, Juicy is not an established brand, and I doubt it will be as popular in 50 years as it is now.

I usually limit these expensive handbags to colors that I can wear with anything so that's black, white, neutral colors, and maybe red. Also, the purses to simple shapes. Remember years ago when backpack purses were stylish and all those girls bought Prada and LV backpack purses? You wouldn't be caught dead wearing that now. If in doubt go with a clutch. Every woman needs a great clutch.



Jeans
You've heard me whine it about it before, but seriously, jean prices are out of control! It's on par with the gas prices. Maybe the oil companies have some deal with True Religion! Kidding aside, there will never be a time in your life when you will not wear jeans. Jeans are comfortable and durable and great because they can be dressed up or dressed down.

Like with the handbags, keep this to simple styles. Simple means classic cuts like straight leg or bootcut. I don't splurge on wide legs, high waist, or skinny jeans. I also don't splurge on jeans with trendy embellishments like elaborate designs on the pockets. I also like to make sure I splurge on pair with a little stretch in them so there's room to grow, because I probably won't be this slim after having babies and aging 10 years...



The Little Black Dress
Black is flattering and chic and the little black dress is a staple to every woman's wardrobe. It should be simple yet sexy. I think the most flattering shape is an a-line dress that falls right at the knees. Make sure to buy something that you will wear even when you're older, so nothing too short, too tight, or too low cute. And remember, it's sexier to leave something to the imagination, we don't realize that until we're much older unfortunately.

This dress doesn't have to be designer, because unlike handbags and jeans, no one will really know. I say the only prerequisite is that it makes you feel beautiful. If you feel great in it then you will definitely have a great time at any event you attend.

No comments: